The Tower of Pisa and Piazza dei Miracoli
Photos of Piazza dei Miracoli, or Piazza del Duomo, in Pisa, including the leaning tower, the cathedral, and the baptistery.
The Tower of Pisa in Piazza dei Miracoli
The construction of the bell tower of Pisa began in 1174, and due to its shallow foundation and swampy terrain conditions the incipient building tilted halfway through its completion, an inclination that was compensated later to keep the structure standing and turn it into the worldwide known leaning tower, completed in 1372.
Façade of the Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption
The façade of this cathedral from the year 1092 is inlaid with polychrome marble, just as the Tower of Pisa, and is also decorated with blind arches and geometric shapes on the ground level, as well as loggias with Corinthian columns on the upper levels.
The Putti Fountain and the Tower of Pisa
The initials "O₽A" in the fountain of the Cupids stands for "Opera della Primaziale Pisana," the organisation in charge of the maintenance and protection of the buildings in Campo dei Miracoli, since the beginnings of the construction of the cathedral in 1064.
Detail of the arcades of the Tower of Pisa
The blind arches on the lower section, and the first loggia of the tower.
Central portal of the Pisa Cathedral
Tympanum, door and columns of the central portal. The ornamental work on these columns has a great similarity with that of the first courtyard of the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence.
Detail of a bronze relief of the Cathedral
Detail of a bronze relief on the main door of the Pisa Cathedral.
Tympanum on the central portal of the cathedral's façade
The baptistery of Saint John
This Romanesque and Gothic style building began to be constructed in 1152 and was completed in 1363, and is the largest baptistery in Italy.
The loggia and Gothic details around the cupola of the baptistery of Pisa
Ornamental details of the Baptistery of Pisa
The Pisa Cathedral
West and south façades of the Pisa Cathedral
Porta del Leone, part of the defensive medieval wall built in the 12th century, during the times of the Republic of Pisa, located next to the Camposanto in Piazza dei Miracoli.
Camposanto building in the Square of Miracles
Cemetery of notable personalities in the history of Pisa.
Gothic tabernacle over the entrance of the Camposanto of Pisa
Neo-Attic vase and the Tower of Pisa
This vase with Neo-Attic low-reliefs is located next to the Pisa Cathedral, and is a copy of the original, which was moved to the interior of the Camposanto.
Detail of the Corinthian columns of the Tower of Pisa
The columns of the blind arches on the ground level of the tower.
The Tower of Pisa and the south transept of the cathedral
The tympanum of the Tower of Pisa
The six loggias of the Tower of Pisa
The Tower of Pisa as seen from the northwest
Tower of Saint Mary in the medieval wall of Pisa
The Tower of Saint Mary as seen from the Piazza of Miracles.
Pisa Cathedral chevet on a rainy day
Detail of the apse of the cathedral and the Tower of Pisa
Tympanum on the main entrance of the Pisa Baptistery
Detail of the low-reliefs on the main door of the baptistery. The statue is a copy of the sculpture "The Virgin and Child" by Giovanni Pisano.
Detail of the tympanum, archivolt and capitals of the south door of the Pisa Baptistery
Detail of the reliefs on the archivolts of the Baptistery's south door
Detail of the tympanum and the north section of the main façade of the Pisa Cathedral
Detail of an engaged column of the central portal of the Pisa Cathedral
South transept of the Pisa Cathedral
The Tower of Pisa peeking from behind the cathedral