The Molard Tower in Place du Molard
This clock tower is located on Place du Molard, a historic square in the center of Geneva. Since the 14th century, this tower was initially used as a control and defense post to protect this area, which was a port. The tower was rebuilt in 1591 and since then, its appearance has been kept intact. Nowadays, there are no fishmongers selling the catch of the day in this pedestrian square as they used to do a few centuries ago, but it is still a commercial area with a wide variety of shops, such as cafés, restaurants, and flower shops, just to name a few. On the RTS website, a Swiss Radio and Television network, you can see a video of Place du Molard in 1954, a time when trams and cars still circulated through it, and you get a glimpse of this tower by the end of the video.
Jet d’Eau of Geneva
One of the most characteristic elements of the city of Geneva is the Jet d’Eau, or water jet, which is hard to miss. This powerful water fountain propels water 140 meters (460 feet) in the air. Initially a small jet was created in the hydraulic plant of Geneva in 1886 as part of a mechanism to release pressure, but years later it was modified to become one of the symbols of the city. It also helps lost tourists who do not use smartphones find their way around the city, like a water GPS.
Geneva’s Old Town from the harbour
Villa La Grange and park La Grange
Villa La Grange was built in the beginnings of the 18th century by the Lullin family and is the central building of this park. When the land was acquired by the Favre family later in that century, Guillaume Favre commissioned the construction of a library, and amassed a remarkable collection of thousands of works from different eras, origins and topics. In 1917, his grandson, William Favre, donates the grounds of the park and Villa La Grange to the city of Geneva, in order to open the park to the public, and later on guided tours of this historical library begin to be offered.
Vase from Villa La Grange
View from the terrace of Villa La Grange
The Mont-Blanc bridge is located on the Rhône River, at its exit from Lake Geneva. The first flag on the left corresponds to the coat of arms of the canton of Geneva, which consists of the union of the double-headed eagle, symbol of the Empire, and a golden key, symbol of the bishop. In the original design, two golden keys could be seen, with a similar layout to the Vatican coat of arms, but since the 15th century, only half of the bicephalous eagle and one golden key are united in a symbolic way. The remaining flags correspond to some of the other Swiss cantons. On this side of the bridge you can see: Neuchâtel, Valais, Vaud, Ticino, Thurgau, Aargau, Graubünden, St. Gallen, Appenzell Innerrhoden and Schaffhausen.
Jet d’Eau from the harbour
Birds of Geneva
Fountain of La Grange Park
A fountain hidden among trees next to Villa La Grange, with the statue of a little mermaid with a laurel wreath, holding a fish. The fish-looking creatures at the base of the statue have a similar style and layout to those on the fountain of Pope Clement XI in front of the Pantheon of Agrippa in Rome.
Lake Geneva and Cologny
A view of Cologny, a town which is part of the Canton of Geneva, on the shores of Lake Geneva. The masts on the left correspond to boats docked at the Geneva Yacht Club, also known as the “Yacht Club de Genève.”